- SharePoint Server 2016 as with earlier versions does not support the use of single label domain names.
- SharePoint Server 2016 supports drives that are formatted with the Resilient File System (ReFS). This a new file system that was introduced in Windows Server 2012. Some of the features offered are improvements with Integrity, Availability and Scalability. It also offers proactive error correction.
The 64-bit edition of Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
- The 64-bit edition of Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard or Datacenter
- SQL Server Express is no longer supported
Note: All servers in the SharePoint farm where the SharePoint bits will be installed requires the windows update 2919355 The SharePoint prerequisite installer does not install this update.
- Web Server (IIS) role
- Application Server role
- Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.6
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Native Client
- Microsoft WCF Data Services 5.6
- Microsoft Information Protection and Control Client (MSIPC)
- Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime v1.0 SP1 (x64)
- Windows Server AppFabric 1.1 (General support for AppFabric ends in 2017, however it is supported in SharePoint 2013 and 2016 until the end of their respective product lifecycles- MSDN )
- Cumulative Update Package 7 for Microsoft AppFabric 1.1 for Windows Server (KB 3092423)
- Microsoft ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server
- Visual C++ Redistributable Package for Visual Studio 2012
- Visual C++ Redistributable Package for Visual Studio 2015
The Pre-requisite installer provided as part of SharePoint requires Internet access to download some of the softwares listed above.
In case the servers in the SharePoint farm do not have Internet access, offline installation is required. Instruction for performing an offline installation can be found here.
Additional information on minimum software requirements for SharePoint can be found here.